Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Journey of an Alternate


During CTI (Corps Training Institute) back in early November, I had the opportunity to try out for the Fire Management Team.  After an essay, interview and a physical fitness test I was told that, while I didn’t make the team, I was an Alternate for the team. 

I joined Sun 7 as we departed Denver to work with Houston Parks and Recreation down in Texas.  We grew together as a team, learning how to live and work side by side.  Part of me forgot, but in the back of my mind my biggest fear was leaving the team that I had learned to love and joining a group of nine individuals that I barely knew. 

As the round ended and the second round of projects began, I parted ways with my team to join Fire 2 (Fire Units Fire Management Team) to take and complete the S-130, S-190 and L-180 classes (Intro to Fire Behavior, Intro to Wildland Fire Fighting, and Human Factors on the Fireline).  It was there that I fell in love with Wildland Fire Fighting and began looking into it as a possible career. 

As I returned to my team and began doing Tax Preparation work with the Community Action Project of Tulsa, Inc, I knew that at some point in the year I would be called up.  I never expected to be called two weeks later. 

Things happened so quickly that I felt blind-sided by the call.  Although I was angry and upset about how things happened, I knew that I had given my word that, if called up, I would be willing to step up to the challenge.  And so I packed my bags, then got hit by a snow storm. 

After being delayed for a number of days, my team dropped me off at the airport with a mixture of emotions, from sorrowful to encouraging.  I boarded the plane and made my way out to Arizona and eventually up to the mountain town of Crown King. 

Though I have only been here for a week and a half, I already feel like part of this team, this family.  Yes, there have been rough spots and I have had some difficulties adjusting to a new team, place and project, but I know this is where I belong.  I draw strength from the experiences that have brought me to this moment, all the love and support that my team (Sun 7) has poured out and the knowledge that things happen for a reason. 

I look forward to the experiences that being a part of this team will bring. 

God Bless and PEACE
STKerr

No comments:

Post a Comment